Notice is hereby given that regular* voter registration for the 2022 Federal General Election to be held on Tuesday, November 8, 2022 will close at 5:00 p.m., October 11, 2022. 

*NOTE:  If you miss this regular registration deadline, you may still register for the election by showing up at the county election office before 12:00 p.m. (noon) on the day before Election Day.

All active and inactive** electors of Stillwater County are entitled to vote at this election.

**NOTE: Inactive electors may reactivate by appearing at the polling place to vote, or by requesting an absentee ballot in any election, or by notifying the County Election Administrator in writing of the elector’s current residence in the county.

Persons who wish to register and who are not presently registered may do so by requesting a form for registration by mail or by appearing before the County Election Administrator.  If you have moved, please have your registration transferred to your present address.

Heidi L. Stadel

Election Administrator

Should you have any questions please call the Clerk and Recorders Office at 322-8000

General Election November 08, 2022

Important Dates

  • Close of Regular Registration- October 11, 2022
  • Late Registration Begins- October 12, 2022
  • Last Day to Late Register or Receive Absentee Ballot- Noon, November 07, 2022

Voter Registration: Please complete the Voter Registration Form and return it to the Stillwater County Elections Office in person or mail to PO Box 149, Columbus MT, 59019.

How to vote by Absentee Ballot: Any registered voter may vote by absentee ballot, even if he or she is able to vote in person on Election Day. To vote absentee, you must first apply for an absentee ballot. Applications are available during a period beginning 75 days before Election Day and ending at noon on the day before the election. You may pick up an application at your local election office, or you may call the office and ask to have an application mailed to you. You can also download the Absentee Ballot Application and mail or drop it off at the election office. Please call the Election Office if you have any questions: 406-322-8000

To vote in Montana, you must: Be registered as required by law.  Be 18 years old or older on or before the next election.  Be a citizen of the United States.  Have lived in Montana and in the county in which you intend to vote for at least 30 days.

You cannot vote if: You’re a convicted felon serving a sentence in a penal institution.  You’ve been judged in a court of law to be of unsound mind.


Late Registration

Beginning with the election held November 2, 2020. Application for an absentee ballot must be made before noon on the day before the election at the county election office. If they miss the deadline to register to vote 30 days or more before the election. An elector who chooses this option must still have been a resident of Montana for at least 30 days before the election. A statewide voter database will ensure that individuals do not vote in multiple counties. 

Election Dates 

  • School and Fire Election: First Tuesday after the first Monday in May, each year. 
  • State and County Primary: First Tuesday after the first Monday in June, even years. 
  • State and County General: First Tuesday after the first Monday in November, even years. 
  • City Primary: First Tuesday after the second Monday in September, odd years, if needed. 
  • City General: First Tuesday after the first Monday in November, odd years.
  • Water/Sewer Election: First Tuesday after the first Monday in May, even years. 
  • Beartooth Park Election: First Tuesday after the first Monday in May, odd years.

Featured Links