Courtesy of the Montana Department of Transportation
You can help ensure a safer winter driving experience by being prepared, alert and cautious.
Before you leave, download MDT’s mobile app “MDT Travel Info” or visit mdt511.com and check your route. If you're driving and want to check in, pull safely off the road and dial 511. Tune in to local radio stations and watch for variable message signs along the route.
“Winter Driving Checklist”
- Allow extra time to get to your destination.
- Clean off your car. Keep windows, mirrors and lights clear of snow and ice.
- Turn off cruise control.
- Always buckle up.
- Slowdown in poor visibility conditions.
- Maintain a safe distance behind other vehicles.
- Expect ice on bridges and in shady spots.
- Don't pass snowplows unless it's absolutely necessary.
- Prepare your vehicle for winter driving at the start of the season.
- Check to be sure all four tires are in good condition.
- Don't wait until the last minute to get snow tires mounted.
- Keep an emergency travel kit in your car.
“Safety Around Snow Plows”
Our snowplows are on the road for your safety. When you encounter a snowplow, remember:
- Don’t crowd the plow.
Plow drivers have limited visibility so don’t assume your vehicle is in view.
- Maintain a safe distance behind the snowplow.
Plows aren't just removing snow. They may also be spreading sand or deicer on the road.
- Be patient—never pass through a white out.
The driver will pull over when it is safe to do so to allow vehicles to pass.
- Slow down.
Plows are large and move slower than highway speeds. It is difficult to judge distance when approaching the plow so slow down immediately to avoid a collision.
Montana Department of Transportation links:
Safety Tips Winter Driving Checklist and Safety Around Snow Plows link:https://www.mdt.mt.gov/visionzero/people/winterdriving.shtml
Emergency Travel Kit link: https://www.mdt.mt.gov/visionzero/docs/emergency-travel-kit.pdf
Question: I’m located outside of the City of Columbus and I want to close down a road for an event . What do I need to do?
Answer: You will need to file for an Application for Temporary Street/Road Closure with the Road and Bridge Department.
Question: When will my road get plowed?
Answer: Please refer to the Stillwater County Road and Bridge Snow Removal Plan.