Stillwater County Solid Waste District was formed in 1975 to provide a system where residents could work together to provide solid waste disposal services. The District is managed by a Solid Waste Board whose members are appointed by the Stillwater County Commissioners. The Board meets on the second Thursday of the month with their concerns.
Each household within the county is charged $192.40 annually (except the City of Columbus residents) to use the district solid waste system. For this price, all household garbage considered non-hazardous is accepted for disposal. Small fees are imposed at staffed collection sites for large items such as tires or construction debris.
Once collected, solid waste is transported to the City of Billings landfill.
MCA 61-8-370 Securing of load – requirement – exemptions:
- A person operating a loaded vehicle on a public highway shall load the vehicle or secure the load sufficiently to prevent littering or creating an obstruction dangerous to the public traveling on the highway.
- The following vehicles are exempt from the provisions in subsection (a) commercial motor vehicle that is operating in compliance with state and federal laws and requirements governing the securing of loads; (b) a vehicle transporting processed or unprocessed agricultural products or inputs, including but not limited to fertilizer, manure, and pesticides; (c) a vehicle performing road maintenance; and (d) a vehicle in a marked construction zone.
Cargo nets will be available at all solid waste sites for $15.00, ask your site attendant.
Site Locations & Operating Hours
The Solid Waste collection sites will no longer be opened the day after a holiday unless it is a scheduled day for that site.
- New Years Day – January 1
- Martin Luther King Day – 3rd Monday in January (Absarokee & Molt)
- Presidents Day – 3rd Monday in February (Absarokee & Molt)
- Memorial Day – Last Monday in May
- Independence Day – July 4
- Labor Day – 1st Monday in September
- Columbus Day -2nd Monday in October
- Election Day (National) – 1st Tuesday in November
- Veteran’s Day -November 11th
- Thanksgiving Day – 4th Thursday in November
- Christmas Day – December 25th
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: How do I dispose of cans of paint or other similar items?
Answer: Click here to view how to dispose of Household Hazardous Waste (PDF)
Question: What items do you accept at the solid waste sites?
Answer: Please click on the desired Solid Waste disposal location to view what materials are accepted at that particular site.