Courtesy of the Montana Department of Transportation
You can help ensure a safer winter driving experience by being prepared, alert and cautious.
Before you leave, download MDT’s mobile app “MDT Travel Info” or visit mdt511.com and check your route. If you’re driving and want to check in, pull safely off the road and dial 511. Tune in to local radio stations and watch for variable message signs along the route.
Montana Department of Transportation Tips and Links:
- Safety Tips Winter Driving Checklist and Safety Around Snow Plows
- Montana Disaster & Emergency Survival Guide (PDF)
- Emergency Travel Tips
- Emergency Travel Kit (PDF)
Gravel Road Etiquette
As we enter into warmer, dryer months, please note that traveling our gravel roads requires “Gravel Road Etiquette”
- Turn your cruise control off
- Buckle up
- The slower you drive, the longer our gravel roads will last
- Slower driving speeds prevent washboards
- Be courteous and cautious with road dust. Faster driving speeds create more road dust, which creates dangerous driving conditions
- Be kind to the Grader Operators as they are improving your roads
- Keep a safe distance between you and the grader
- Make sure the Grader Operators see you before you pass them
- Let’s keep Stillwater County beautiful by not throwing garbage out of your vehicle and keeping cigarettes inside your ashtray
For questions or concerns, contact Stillwater County Road & Bridge Department: 406-322-5335
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: I’m located outside of the City of Columbus and I want to close down a road for an event. What do I need to do?
Answer: You will need to file an Application for Temporary Street/Road Closure with the Road and Bridge Department.
Question: When will my road get plowed?
Answer: Please refer to the Stillwater County Road and Bridge Snow Removal Plan (PDF).