The Economic Development Department has relocated to the lower level of the West Annex at 431 Quarry Road, Columbus.
Board Leadership Training 2022
Stillwater County Business Direct Grant
Thinking about starting a business?
Click HERE to get the resources, tips, and tools you need to get started. (PDF)
If you are looking for additional business or non-profit assistance, please call or email us. We look forward to assisting you with your business and organizational needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: Are there business licenses in Stillwater County or the City of Columbus?
Answer: No… BUT please check to see if your profession or service requires a Professional License issued by the State of Montana.
Question: Are there grants available for my business?
Answer: Possibly. It all depends on what you intend to use the funds for. Generally, with any business grants, you are required to be in business for at least 1 year. Microgrants (+/- $1K) for businesses are very hard to come by. State and Federal grants that may be available tend to cater to businesses looking to make major investments between $25K to over $1M+. For more information please contact our office.
Question: What business/organizational assistance and resources are available?
Answer: Stillwater Economic Development offers business consulting, resource connections to State and Federal programs which include but aren’t limited to the Business Expansion And Retention (BEAR) Program, Small Business Development Center (SBDC), Small Business Administration (SBA), Beartooth Resource Conservation and Development, and the Department of Labor and Industry – Billings Job Service. We are resource directors and welcome your inquiries.
Question: We’re interested in moving our business and our family to Stillwater. What is the economy like in Stillwater?
Answer: The 2015 update to the Stillwater County Overall Economic Development Plan can be viewed HERE (PDF). This Plan details the County’s demographics and its growth over the years but it’s also a strategic planning document with goals and objectives for Stillwater County, its community, and economic development plans for the future.
- Montana Loan Deferment Program (PDF)
- Economic Overview – Stillwater County (PDF)
- Economic Overview – Columbus (PDF)
- Headwaters Economics
- Looking for a Grant? (PDF)
- Starting a Nonprofit in Montana
- Starting a Business
- Billings Job Service Business Information
- MT Dept of Environmental Quality Small Business Environmental Assistance Program (PDF)
- Residential Real Estate
- Commercial Real Estate
- Economic Development Committee
- 2015 Overall Economic Development Plan (PDF)
- Agritourism Manual (PDF)
- Columbus Area Trails Plan (PDF)
- Beartooth Resource Conversation and Development (RC&D)
- Montana Department of Commerce
- SBA Guidance & Information on Paycheck Protection Program
- Transportation Alternatives Program – Columbus Trails