About the Department


Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.


Frequently Asked Questions

Question:  What do I need to obtain a marriage license?

  • $53.00 in cash
  • some form of state or federally issued photo identification
  • proof of termination of previous marriage (final decree or death certificate)
  • both parties need to appear
  • proof of premarital testing for rubella immunity or signed waiver (we have waiver forms in District Court)

Question:  How do I file for a divorce?

  • Parties must file a petition for dissolution and the fee is $200.00 in cash
  • Most dissolution packets and parenting plan packets are located in our office.  However, please call in advance to make sure we have the appropriate forms on hand.  Our forms are provided by the Self Help Law Center in Billings, Montana.  Parties may also contact the Self Help Law Center directly for the appropriate forms at (406) 969-3531 or online at Self Help Forms

Question: I cannot afford to pay for an attorney–how do I get an attorney to represent me?

  • For civil cases, contact Montana Legal Services Association at 1-800-666-6899 or online at  MontanaLawHelp.org.
  • For criminal cases, contact the Region 9 Public Defender’s Office at (406)256-6861 or online at publicdefender.mt.gov

Featured Links


400 East 3rd Avenue North
PO Box 367
Columbus, MT 59019-0367

Located on the third floor of the Courthouse in the northeast corner.


Melissa Ranstrom Clerk of District Court

Term Expires December 31, 2024

Patricia Reiter Deputy Clerk

Keara Young Clerk